Vodafone Idea Limited (VIL) has finally launched the Apple Watch Cellular (GPS + Cellular) service. According to a company release, this service is available for Vodafone Postpaid customers, including Enterprise Postpaid, in select circles of Mumbai, Delhi, and Gujarat beginning 12 June 2020. Services will continue to be expanded to additional circles in the coming weeks.
Before VIL, only Bharti Airtel and Reliance Jio were providing the cellular service to Apple Watch users in India.
The announcement comes as a bonus for many postpaid enterprise subscribers of VIL who have been using Apple Watch for a variety of different enterprise implementations. Starting today, they have the freedom to leave their phones behind and stay connected with just their Apple Watch, helping them make calls, use wide range of productivity apps and stream Apple Music, even without having the iPhone nearby.
Speaking about the development, Avneesh Khosla, Director–Marketing, Vodafone Idea Ltd, said, “Consumers today are increasingly moving towards having connected products in their lives. With the launch of cellular support for Apple Watch we are enabling our customers to connect their Apple Watch to their iPhone using the same / existing mobile number and enjoy the freedom of using their Apple Watch independently to stay connected.”
How to set up the service:
- Update iPhone to latest iOS
- Open the Watch app on your iPhone
- Start the pairing process of Apple Watch and iPhone
- Sign in with your Apple ID and password to continue
- Tap “Setup Mobile Data” to share your Postpaid number and plan with Apple Watch
- Enter your Vodafone postpaid number and self-care password
- (Note: If not registered then tap on register to login to register your phone number)
- Tap confirm once login is successful
- On second confirmation the service will get activated within 30 minutes
It is important to note that enterprise postpaid customers will need prior confirmation from their authorized signatory to set up the service.